President-elect Barack Obama. Truly inspirational & undoubtedly powerful. Can you believe it?! Honestly, it's all so amazing. Do you realize how many doors he has opened? All the opportunities are now on the table, up for grabs. Throw in a black president of a superpower country and the whole world is shaken up! Did you know Kenya declared tomorrow a national holiday? The whole country must be proud of him, actually the whole continent of Africa! If I were in front of him hearing his famous speech, I would have cried. Instead, I watched it at home and ALMOST cried, haha. If you did not experience the full speech, then you are a loser cause you should have been watching the live coverage. You can read the full one here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl135#full) but here are some of my favorite quotes:
"But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand...The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there. "
-- Okay, when he said he would be "honest," I was hesitant. After all, he is still a politician. But he admits that he cannot do it alone, which I guess makes up for the honesty issue. And it has got me wondering, is that really a promise that he can keep?
"For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime - two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century. Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us. There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how they'll make the mortgage, or pay their doctor's bills, or save enough for college. There is new energy to harness and new jobs to be created; new schools to build and threats to meet and alliances to repair."
-- This really woke me up to the long list of things he has to do. The condition that our country is in is not very good, AT ALL. He is facing an incredible amount of pressure that no one should have to handle, even with a team of the country's best advisers. Let's see how he does in these next few months, cause right now, I doubt that there are real solutions to these problems.
I will end with a question: Will he really bring about the change we need? It's probably too vague of a question & who knows if there will be an answer. Just my thoughts (= Can't wait until I turn 18!
No comments:
Post a Comment