Sunday, May 3, 2009

Corsages and peonies

I got home yesterday to discover a dozen or so beautiful couples in my front yard. Turns out, I had forgotten that I let the seniors take pictures at my house for their senior ball! Hahaha, told you my memory is bad. Anyways, they were totally nice about not intruding on my family and they weren't strangers or anything cause I knew most of them. I got a picture too but it looked weird cause I wasn't dressed up. Our senior ball is in exactly 2 years!

So anyways, my family drove deep, deep into the hills today to find this supposedly magical peony farm. My parents love peonies cause they were the flowers of the royal Chinese family thousands of years ago. Actually, scratch that; all Chinese parents will instantly recall stories about the flower, even I have heard stories from my grandparents. It's actually a very beautiful flower, more so than roses. The lady (after hearing stories about this asian flower, I was surprised to discover that the lady who sells them isn't asian, she is white) that sells it has like hundreds of varieties she imports from China with her very own importation license (I didn't know that a flower importation license existed). Her husband raises 16 llamas that just lounge around and eat hay, he told me he used to raise 42! How cool would that be... to be able to say, "Hey guys, guess what? I live 30 minutes away from civilization, deep in the hills. Also, I raise llamas and my wife sells Chinese flowers. What do you do?" Haha! Below is a picture (not taken by me) of a peony called Caroline Mather. Ain't she pretty? :)

No comments: