Monday, July 12, 2010

Faith

When I was a child, I was baptized as a Christian and spent my first three years of school (preschool to second grade) at Marquette Manor Baptist Church and Academy in Downers Grove, Illinois. It wasn't just some random church we dropped into either; people in our community took church very seriously, dressing up in their Sunday best complete with modest dresses and tuxedos. My mom used to say that one of the many reasons she loved church was that she could dress me up in the frilliest dress there was, as if I was her little doll. Since our family moved to California, however, we got caught up in all the opportunities and excitement that we didn't really have the chance to go, which is something I have been regretting for a long time.

So recently my mom brought the topic of church up and I wholeheartedly agreed that we should return to that habit. We don't even know which church to start at but my mom seems keen on visiting the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph in downtown San Jose. It's a beautiful and elegant church and they supposedly have great services as well. It's Catholic, but we're open-minded, seeing as that we haven't participated in a church activity in 10 years now. We'll be attending the Saturday mass at 4:30pm, and if you're interested in joining us, let me know :)

I honestly think that regularly attending church (which, for me back then, was everyday) was a huge factor in shaping who I am today; it taught me manners, faith, hope, love, and perseverance. My mom says that I don't have that many rebellious impulses because I grew up in a stable environment. But nowadays, I feel like I really need something to believe in at this point in my life and I'm ashamed when I can't recall simple Bible stories that are so common knowledge. I am definitely looking forward to returning to my faith.

I wish my brother was given the chance that I was given at such a young age. He is a wonderful human being but I feel like he could somehow be a better person with that kind of influence. I wouldn't say this about every child because, after all, who am I to be an all-knowing parent, but I think that attending church regularly is one of the single most important things a child can participate in. One day, I hope my children will be lucky enough to have that opportunity.

1 comment:

mary kay said...

Amen.

I love you carolinezzz (: